Author: Patrick BodeSource: Beaver Magazine
Date: June, 1993
Upper Canada, 1793
This year marks the 200th anniversary of a largely forgotten but significant event in Canadian history. It was in the year 1793 that the Assembly of Upper Canada (barely a year old itself) passed an Act "to prevent the further introduction of Slaves, and to limit the term of contracts for servitude." This Act, passed in an obscure colony in the heart of North America, was a first tentative step in ending the tyranny of slavery in Canada.
Significantly, the moving spirit behind the Act would be a black Canadian.
In March 1793, Peter Martin, servant of Colonel John Butler, appeared before the first meeting of the province's Executive Council at Navy Hall in Newark (now Niagara-on-the-Lake). Little is known of Peter Martin except that he was selected to represent the black citizens before the colonial government.
The Executive Council of the day was composed of the Lieutenant Governor John Graves Simcoe, Chief Justice William Osgoode and a prominent citizen and slaveowner, Peter Russell. This new executive was determined to create an orderly government among the Loyalists who had taken up land along the fringes of the American republic. Among these Loyalists were a number of black veterans, men who had escaped from slavery and volunteered to fight in Loyalist regiments against the revolutionaries. One veteran, Richard Pierpoint, had been born in West Africa and had been a slave in New York for 20 years. In 1780 he escaped, made his way to the Niagara Peninsula and joined Butler's Rangers. As a reward for his services he was granted land near Fort Niagara and settled in the area.
However, most blacks living in what was to become Ontario were condemned to slavery. Slavery of both blacks and natives had existed since the beginning of European settlement. French settlers at what eventually became Windsor, had used slave labour since 1749. Many Loyalists brought their slaves with them to Canada. An Imperial Act of 1790 encouraged immigration to Canada and assured prospective immigrants that their slaves would remain their property. The province's black population was therefore a peculiar mixture of black veterans who had been granted land for their services and slaves who were completely without rights or freedom.
Peter Martin was before the Executive Council to speak on behalf of the latter He began by telling them of the violent outrage committed against a black woman, Chloe Cooley, near Queenston. Her master, one William Vrommond, had decided to sell her in New York State Because she resisted, he had her securely bound and dragged across the border to her new owner. Simcoe was shocked, and the Council resolved to direct the Attorney General to prevent such breaches of the peace in the future. Nevertheless, both Simcoe and his Attorney General, John White, knew that under the existing law, Vrommond was within his rights and that nothing could be done. But this would not dissuade Simcoe.
The Lieutenant Governor, John Graves Simcoe, was a distinguished military officer, but largely unfamiliar with civil administration. Yet he was determined to erect in the province a copy of the British form of government and root out the "democratic subversion" that had been at the heart of the American Revolution. Unlike many of his contemporaries, Simcoe had come to abhor slavery and he was one of the first imperial administrators to work for its abolition. While a member of the British House of Commons, Simcoe had spoken against slavery as an offence against Christianity. Given his own way, he would have freed all slaves immediately. The political realities of Upper Canada, however, intervened.
Simcoe's agent in the provincial Assembly, Attorney General John White, introduced a bill in June 1793 to provide for the gradual abolition of slavery. It was not well received. The elected members, many of whom were merchants or farmers who depended on slave labour, saw no need for emancipation. White later wrote that there was "much opposition but little argument" to his measure. On the Canadian frontier, hard labour was the only way to clear land or make it productive, and many settlers considered slaves to be their most valuable assets. After considerable concessions to the slave owners, the bill to provide for gradual abolition of slavery was passed and given royal assent on 9 July 1793. In his address to the Assembly, Simcoe praised this act as a "singular pleasure that such persons as may be in that unhappy condition which sound policy unites to condemn, added to their own protection from all undue severity... may henceforth look forward with certainty to the emancipation of their offspring."
Undoubtedly, Simcoe looked upon the act as the first step in the total elimination of slavery.
Yet the unfortunate reality was that it freed no one. All persons who were slaves would remain so until they died. However, no further slaves could be brought into the province, and all children of female slaves would become free at the age of 25. As a concession to slaveholders, the Act actually discouraged the freeing or manumission of slaves by requiring the master to provide security that the former slave would not become a public charge.
One member of the Assembly, D.W. Smith, was sympathetic to black Canadians and he did not think that the act went far enough. Smith wrote to a friend "We have made no law to free the Slaves.... A free man who is married to a Slave, his heir is declared by this act to be a slave. Fye, fye. The Laws of God & man cannot authorize it."
But there was no doubt that Simcoe's act was intended to throttle slavery. "By a piece of chicanery", wrote the wife of the Provincial Secretary, Simcoe had "freed all the Negroes." So unpopular was the act with slave owners that in 1798 a group of them headed by the Virginia-born Christopher Robinson introduced a bill into the Upper Canada Assembly to permit the importation of additional slaves. As well, this act confirmed the Imperial Act of 1790 permitting immigrants to bring their slaves into the province. It is an indication of the strength of the slavery lobby that this bill passed in the Assembly, but was stalled by the government appointees in the Upper Chamber. This bill died at the end of the session, but the attempt to fully re-instate slavery in Upper Canada had almost succeeded.
Slavery persisted in Upper Canada after 1793. In the first decade of the nineteenth century there are many accounts of slave sales. Occasionally, people simply ignored the law and imported additional slaves from the United States. But the institution was doomed. In 1807, Sandwich merchant John Askin tried, without success, to sell his "Negro Man Ben". Askin noted that the hostility of the adjacent states to bondage was having its effect in destroying slavery as a viable enterprise.
By the second decade of the nineteenth century, references to slave transactions were rare. The end of slavery may have been hastened by the overwhelming loyalty of black residents during the War of 1812. A company of black Canadians was enrolled in the militia and served with great distinction throughout the war. When Imperial emancipation was finally enacted by London in 1834, there may have been no slaves left in the colony to be emancipated.
The Slave Act of 1793 stands as the only attempt by a Canadian legislature to act against enslavement. In typical Canadian fashion, it was a compromise affair and it had none of the drama of Abraham Lincoln's Emancipation Proclamation of 1863. It was limited in effect, and intended to end a known evil gradually, not instantly. The preamble to the Act embodies this cautious approach:
Whereas it is unjust that a people who enjoy freedom by law should encourage the introduction of Slaves; And Whereas it is highly expedient to abolish slavery in this Province, so far as the same may be done without violating private property.
Thus, one of Ontario's oldest laws expressed the ideal of freedom that free people could not enslave others, while at the same time it sought to preserve stability and protect existing rights.
Response Questions:
*** Feel free to answer any/all of the following questions regarding Simcoe's life in Upper Canada and the treatment of the slaves.
1. Based upon this reading, what is your personal opinion of John Graves Simcoe?
2. Did Simcoe and the Upper Canadian government go far enough with the Slave Act of 1793?
3. One of Canada's first and most important laws was an act of compromise. Even today, Canadians are sometimes criticized for being indecisive over important issues both at home and abroad. Do you feel that this quality is a positive attribute or a negative one?
87 comments:
Now that I know more about John Graves Simcoe, I have an opinion on him. Obviously he has done quite a lot for the well being of others. I also want to reflect on Richard Peirpoint. He spent 20 years in slavery. I know about slavery and I know I would hate it. So could anyone imagine 20 years of hard sweat labor. But I like a lot of John's ideas and how he put his ideas into action.
1) I think that John Graves Simcoe was someone who care about slaves and freeing them even if he was turned down he was determined to free them.
2)The act didnt go very far , but it made it so free people cannot make the slaves. But by th compormise it worked fine.
3) I feel that this is a positive thing to be able to make our own discision while making sure others also get the same thing.
I don't think that the government went far enough with the slave act because people came to Canada so they could be free they fought for the British so they could be free and what do they get? More slavery!
I think what John Graves Simcoe did was a great thing, but I also think that he should have done the 25 years law for every slave.
I think that John Graves Simcoe didn't try hard enough for slaves because if he did fight hard enough they would have been free. Although he did try so I'll give him SOME credit.
No, Simcoe did not go far enough with the law... he should have tried a bit harder.
History.roxx13,
I agree with you with regards to Richard Peirpoint. Twenty years of slavery would be hard for anyone to manage. It would be even more frightening for those African slaves that were brought to North America aboard slave ships. The religious, cultural and language barriers that these people would have to overcome are almost impossible to imagine.
1. I think John Graves Simcoe was a good man him and his family did all they could for upper Canada it shows when theres a law thats from that long ago.
3. I think that being indecisive is a good thing because you wont get what you want but you will get a little bit of it and both people win. It dose not have to be one person getting everything. The slavery act was an act of compromise and every one won and ending up getting what they wanted not right away but it
I agree history.roxx13. you have some good points.
I think that the canadian trait to to compromise is positive. Instead of rushing to a big fight, we try and work out a solution and, in some cases that can save lives.
Mr.Link,
I agree with you too. it would be like hell on earth... I couldn't imagine being in their shoes.
After reading this, I have made my opinion of John Graves Simcoe. I think he was a great man that cared for everyone, and their feelings. He wanted everyone to be treated the same
I agree with Apollogreat because the slaves were probably happy that they were going to Canada, but when they got there, they were still slaves.
I believe that compromise is a positive attribute because it can solve problems in an easy way rather then use guns and swords and what not. Thats why i think about compromising
My personal opinion about John Graves Simcoe :
John Graves Simcoe has done so many things. So has Richard Peirpoint he has had spent along time in labor.
I think, that we as Canadians should be proud to be "indecisive". The reason for this is because we take the time to work things out, or fix it.
I think that compromise can be good and bad everyone is happy but things don't get done!
I feel that to compromise is a positive attribute because I think that people should make there own decisions and not relay on other people.
3.
I feel that the canadians are too easy going and that is what makes other countrys want to walk all over us
Hank Pym:
You seem to feel that Canada has the reputation of being a rather weak world power. Why do you feel that we sometimes get treated as a second tier nation on the world stage? Does anyone else agree with Hank? What could Canada do to be treated with more respect?
my opinion about John Graves Simcoe is good because he has done alot for others. he also cared about slaves and he wanted to free them. and I also think that he did what he could to do anything for upper Canada, and if he never became famous or government of upper Canada the place we live in now wouldent be called simcoe county.
Has anyone ever been in a scenario where a "compromise" ended up making a difficult situation even worse? Why do people/nations sometimes have to stand their ground over certain issues?
I think that Richard Peirpoint would have had a hard life with 20 years of slavery. But I was happy that when I read on he managed to escape and get his own land.
I would like to qusetion the statement made by hank pym 8 as Candians are not exactly easy going. Just because we don't fight wars over litte thing like the U.S dosen't mean we are easy going and I would like you to find one country that supusedly walks all over us.
apollogreat great makes a good point becuase people who came to canada to fight the british just to get independants and all they got was more slavery
I definitely do not think that John Grave Simcoe did not go far enough with stopping slavery. I think that he could of tried to stop it all at once because the Loyalists that are in Canada need the British so they would have to follow the laws that they put out, in my opinion. I also think that he did prevent slavery very well and stopped it for the future but than again the slaves that were alive during that time wouldn't be able to reap the benefits of that new law.
I think that countries have to stand their ground on what they believe in and not be told to think something else because other countries try to make you Mr. Link
My Opinion of Simcoe is that he was a good man and he did good good things for people, even the slaves.
I agree with what mem said about John Grave Simcoe not going far enough to stop slavery.
I find John Grave Simcoe was a person who truly cared about what he believed in, like when he got turned down abut letting the slaves free he was determined to do it (great point cinamon123). So In my opinion he was a great man and truly loyal to him self. That's what I like most about him. Also he was not a person that just said he was going to do something and didn't he was a guy who did what he said he was going to do. No he didn't free them but he tried his best. So yes I do believed he tried hard enough.
history.roxx13 has good ideas
I think that John Simcoe is a good man how helps slavs and I also think that it is good to be able to comprimis not a bad thing I bont even no whiy eny peopele wod think it's bad
Firstly I just want to say that I think it's was brave of Richard Pierpoint to escape from slavery.
Also my opinion on people not wanting to abolish slavery is that they are to lazy to do the work them selves so they get slaves to do the work for them.
I also thank John Graves Simcoe for standing up and doing what ever he could to abolish slavery.
I wouldn't want to live in a place of slavery because life would get boring not doing anything.I'm not saying that not doing anything isn't fun but after awhile working would be fun instead of twiddling your thumbs
I think that John Grave Simcoe did the right thing standing up for the slaves and what he believed in like if I was Simcoe I would do or at least try to do what he did.
I don't agree with Hank Pym 8 at all. I think Canada is very successful and no country walks all over us because our country is so diverse with different races, religions, believes, etc. I think most country's want to be like us because since we are so easy going it allows people to have their voice heard and have a chance to talk about what they believe in.
After studying about apartheid in South Africa, you have probably made some connections between the treatment of minorities in both nations. Discuss.
I think John Graves Simcoe cared for everyone. I think he could have tried harder to free the slaves but he did the right thing by trying. Many people would have been punished if they tried to free the slaves. I think how it must have sucked to be a slave back then.
history.roxx13,
You have some good ideas I like your statements
I ager that canada was very easy going so it makes other places think they can take it over.
Nice comments paperboy90210 and meatball
hank pym 8,
I think you are totally wrong Canada isn't weak.If you havn't noticed yet Canada hasn't lost a war so I wouldn't be saying Canada is weak
Meatballs
Yes i definitely agree with you Mr.Link, I think that Canada did a far better job with stopping slavery then the U.S. because we managed to stop slavery much quicker than them, because slavery still was around so much later than Canada. Also even today people in the U.S. still believe black people should be slaves
Montcalm,
What do you think about Canada's relationship with the United States? Do you feel we are treated as equals or perhaps more like a loyal younger brother or neighbour?
I also agree with paperboy90210 on how John Graves Simcoe did by standing up for the slaves and also standing up for what he believed in.
I think you are right on the dot cetw.
Every one is saying that Simcoe didnt do enough for the laves well what do you want! He's a govener of a territory and not even all of Canada he does not make all the decisons who do you think he was King George!!!
I don't now what hank pym 8 is talking about we our the second biggest country and its great. So what if the Americans think we live in 6 feet of snow but they have crime and pollution.
My opinion on John Graves Simcoe is that he was a very open minded person. I say that because he always hears what people want done or what they wanted to say. Also that he is caring about people. He is caring because people had a fear of the USA attacking the people that lived in the Niagara-on-the-lake. He is also a very helping person because he helps people with there homes and families.
That is my opinion to John Graves Simcoe.
Yeah Mr.Link is right apartied in South Africa and slavery here arent too much different I mean they both include black people getting disrespected and white or european people having all the power but I am happy that people had the guts to stop both. But I think that aparthied was worse because although they didnt have to do work like the slaves did they had to live in shacks and they had almost no schools and what they called a school was a abandoned warehouse with broken windows. But I still think that the slaves had it bad too because they had to live in shacks too but with like nearly 30 people in 1 little shack and they couldn't rest like we do they always had to listen to their "masters."
I ager with cinamon123 because he made him sound the way I wolud think hes like
Under the Bush adminstration we had no respect I think the Americans are still mad we did not join the gulf war but now we have to see what Obama will do for the country and how he will treat us becaus we are there bigsest trading partner.
I do think that John Graves Simcoe is a great man and he did so much for Upper Canada. And i do think that it would hard to even think about doing 20 years of slavery. And what makes it even more sad is if you got brought over from Africa, because you were just out on to a ship, not knowing where your going to end up and not even knowing how to speck there language. So I do think that him and is family did as much as they could for Upper Canada and if we didn't have him Canada wouldn't be the same today.......
I agree with you to mem he didn't go far enough to help thoes innocent slaves he could have fought stronger and harder
Mr. Linklater
After studying more about apartied I think what was going on in North America and South Africa is totally different because in North America it was two countries with slavery and in South Africa it was only a small portion of Africa with slavery.In the sense of both parts of the world slavery is slavery and is wrong.
Meatballs
Mr.Link,
Do you think that John Graves Simcoe did or didn't go far enough for the slaves?
Mem,
No matter where I go in the world, I've found that there are uninformed and biased people everywhere. While the United States did take longer than Canada to abolish slavery, I would hope that they are a progressive enough nation in the 21st century to see the ills of slavery. I will allow that many biased/racist people can still be found throughout the US, but sadly that is true for Canada as well.
I think that john was a good man he was all was helping people or at least trying to. But I do think he went far in trying to help the blacks. He could have do something to stop it like war no want he just lost war o.k then do something like what Nelson Mandala. He could have tried harder I would have. But he did try so I have to give him respect. John is a good man. At least he tried not like other people that didn't so thanks!
I agree with cinamon123 because I definitely think that John Graves Simcoe was determined to stop slavery and he really did in more ways than one.
Mr.link I have a question did people
sell black people? Like as salves for money?
I guess that Canada is like that too I just never thought about it that way.
I ager with ninja 14441 because he has good ideas.
I would like to point out that Canada is NOT weak. We should be proud of ourselves has Canadians, It's just that not everyone thinks positivly about Canada. So I think we as Canadians ow ourselves to kepp standing proud with our country.
I was glad I kept reading to find out that Richard Peirpoint was able to free him self from slavery. Though it was a risky thing to do, he pulled it together and freed himself from awful slavery. He probably influenced others to make the same choice and try to escape slavery. That way people can live normal lives without following orders to break a sweat into 10000 pieces.
1.My opinion about John Gaves Simcoe was someone who really cares about slaves and freeing them even if he was turned down, he still was determined to free all of them.
3.I was feeling that this is a posotive thing to be able to make our own disition while making sure the oters also get the same thing like the people of compromise and every one get a just to be happy and get together with there siblings
1) After I know more about John Graves Simcoe, I have my own opinion of him. I think he was a great man who is trying to set slaves free. Thats really important because know one in the world should be a slave, its just not right.
Yeah your right Superstar,
Know one should be a slave it's disrespect, violation, and it's wrong. While we are on that subject, would anyone of you stand up for selves or just put up with the slavery? In other words, would you do something about it?
In my opinion, John Graves Simcoe and the government did not go far enough with the act. They should have just denied slavery and make it a law. We don't use slavery right now, why did we need it then? We can work fine on our own or with friends, not with slavery.
I think John Graves Simcoe is a great person. Helping to free slaves. Why do we even need slaves?
Actually "something987",
We don't need slaves, in fact we.......the human race NEVER needed them. Slaves were invented for people that were to darn lazy to do things themselves. Or for the enjoyment of mean selfish people to watch others break a sweat. So basically we never needed them, we don't now and we never will. But if there is ever a time in the world while I'm still on this earth I will personally do something about slavery like Nelson Mandela and all the greats did. But that is if it ever occurs again while I am still living on this earth no matter if I am 80, or 90 or however old I am, I will do something.
After reading this article, I have decided an opinion on Simcoe. I think that e was a man who belived in everyone living life as an equal, and that evryone and everything deserves a chance. He placed many acts and laws to help the colonists live better lives, and he also tried to make the colonists not struggle much more than they already had in the short passed years. I feel he gave everyone a chance because he gave slaves a chance to live better lives...far away from what they had tried to leave behind. I also think that it was amazing of him AND his wife for taking the time to get to know the colony and all of the people in it. They met and talked to everyone, and that is definantly something I belive made John Graves Simcoe an amzing man. I think this because, ever since our major was elected, I have heard very little about him. He is not very involved in our community, and clearly he is not making much of an effort, considering I don't even know the mans name! However, this is not the only part of my opinion of Simcoe. I think that he was also sometimes a selfish man. When he passed the law about slavery, he only used his opinion on the situation to create the law. I think that this law was a very good one, but he should have found a way to comprimise with other colonists. I don't think that this kind of comprimise would have affected the colony in a negative way at all.
Shopaholic.
I think that everyone is making the mistake of saying that slavery was excluseve to Blacks. But you have to rember even the Africans themselvs were ensalving each other and at one point the British were even enslaved by the Romans. So slavery happened to alot of pepoel at many times.
I think that John Graves Simcoe was very helpful with the devolopment of Upper Canada. It impressed me how he compromised the two ways that slavery could go so that it would work out for the slaves and still keep people who wanted slavery happy.
3) I believe that being indecisive is a negative atribute and sadly I personaly am indecisive. It is a terrible thing and my best friend always comments on how I have so much trouble deciding on things, even if its not a hard decision. I feel bad for anybody else who may be indecisive at home or abroad, like myself because it can sometimes be a big challenge and can really ruin someones day.
In my opinion i think John Graves didn't do enough to help slaves because if he did they would have been free and not had to do things people were making them do! I also think that if he tried a bit harder there would be absolutley no more slavery and it wouldn't be happening in some countrey's today!
1. I think that John Grave Simcoe cared a lot about the slavery and wanted to do something about it.
2. I think that the act did go far because it made it so that the people who are free couldn't make the blacks slaves anymore.
Mr.Linklater,
I think that John Graves Simcoe was a graet governer for Upper Canada. This is because he planned on making the first highway transportation route and he also made laws that would help the loyalists after he was no lonnger the governer of Upper Canada, considering he was only the governer for four years.
My opinion on John Graves Simcoe, is that he was a man that wanted everyone to be treated the same, and that he thought everyone had rights be the person black or white.I also think that he put in many good acts and laws that were to help the colonists to live better. I find from this reading that I think he might have felt bad for the blacks and that he didn't like or agree with having slaves being brought over the boarder or being born in Canada and having to work there whole lives then just pass away. In my opinion, Simcoe was a great man who wanted to work towards a better and equal life for everyone.
Hank Pym
Canada isn't a weak nation, if you ask me I'd say were one of the strongest. Like mem said we haven't lost a war we got rid of slavery we have are own rights and laws, we are very free. Compared to many different nations world wide we have way more freedom rights and a ton more things that are better than a lot of different laces around the world. Were the cleanest country in the world, were second largest for land mass. Also we have the most imagrated people because our country is so open to other people were not just a white society we are a ratio of different people! I'd say were one f the strongest nations!
Hank Pym
Canada isn't a weak nation, if you ask me I'd say were one of the strongest. Like mem said we haven't lost a war we got rid of slavery we have are own rights and laws, we are very free. Compared to many different nations world wide we have way more freedom rights and a ton more things that are better than a lot of different laces around the world. Were the cleanest country in the world, were second largest for land mass. Also we have the most imagrated people because our country is so open to other people were not just a white society we are a ratio of different people! I'd say were one f the strongest nations!
Hello all,
Thank you for your wonderful responses. J.G. Simcoe would be most impressed with all of your thoughtful replies. Clearly, the students of SFA have both strong and valid opinions on the state/evolution of slavery here in North America. Keep up the great work!
Hello all,
Thank you for your wonderful responses. J.G. Simcoe would be most impressed with all of your thoughtful replies. Clearly, the students of SFA have both strong and valid opinions on the state/evolution of slavery here in North America. Keep up the great work!
Dear History.roxx13,
Your comment on something987 is very true. People just wanted slaves beacuse they were to lazy to do it themseleves.
2) I think that John Graves Simcoe and the Upper Canada Government did go far with the Slavery Act in 1763. Because he made any free person couldn't make back salves. But is is also didn't go good because any other salves still had to go through hard work. So really its both.
3) I feel that to compromise was a positive attribute because I feel that people should make up there own minds and not make other people do it for them.
Post a Comment