Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Online Response #2: The Black Loyalists


IN EARLY SPRING 1775, AT GEORGE WASHINGTON'S MOUNT VERNON ESTATE IN VIRGINIA, SNOW STILL LINGERED ON THE LAWN, WHICH SWEPT DOWN TO THE POTOMAC RIVER.

Along the cherry walk, plump buds showed the first hint of bloom. But the peaceful scene did not reflect the turmoil and uncertainty that the colonists felt. The threat of war was real, especially after a fatal skirmish between colonists and British troops at Lexington Green near Boston, Massachusetts. Washington understood that he most likely would be the commander selected to lead the American forces into a conflict bloodier than he had ever seen. "The crisis is arrived when we must assert our rights," he wrote to a friend. Otherwise, Washington warned, white Americans would become "tame and abject slaves, as the blacks we rule over with such arbitrary sway."

By the summer of 1775, the Second Continental Congress had elected Washington commander in chief of the Continental Army, and the first terrible battle had been fought at Bunker Hill in Massachusetts. In Virginia, the royal governor, John Murray, was forced to take refuge on a British warship in the James River, after he hinted that he would not only arm the slaves but also free them as well. Given that the Virginia planters held some 180,000 enslaved people, to even hint at such a possibility was shocking to white colonists. On November 14, 1775, Murray, also known as Lord Dunmore, carried out his threat and published a proclamation to free any slaves ready to bear arms for the king.

In Virginia, most enslaved people lived with their families, certainly children with their mother and young siblings, and sometimes with extended families (with grandparents, other relatives, or close friends). So, when they heard Dunmore's offer of freedom, entire families ran away together, something that had never happened. Husbands with wives, mothers with children, grandparents, aunts, uncles, and cousins, they all ran to Dunmore. Over a period of six months, as many as 2,000 men, women, and children reached Dunmore. Some came in canoes and small boats, while others came on foot and swam out to the British ships.

The men were formed into a fighting force called Lord Dunmore's Ethiopian Regiment. However, plans to fight the rebellious colonists were thrown into chaos after an outbreak of smallpox on the overcrowded British ships. Most of the black runaways fell victim to the dreadful disease. Dunmore reported that there was not a ship that did not throw three or four dead overboard every night, and Virginians found black bodies drifting ashore on the tide. In this horrific situation, Dunmore's force was easily driven from Virginia in July 1776, having lost 70 percent of the black recruits. He then sailed north to New York, which was now in British control. With him were about 300 of his original black recruits, including a runaway of George Washington's named Harry. (See below.)

The British zone in New York drew runaways from all the surrounding colonies. They were quickly put to work providing support services for the British army and navy. By 1781, the number of black people behind the British lines was at least 4,000. Black artisans worked on rebuilding projects and in the naval yards; black teamsters hauled provisions and collected firewood; black nurses and orderlies staffed the hospitals; black laundresses and needlewomen did the washing and sewing; black pilots guided the ships safely in and out of the port; black fiddlers and banjo players provided entertainment for balls and tavern entertainment; black jockeys rode the horses at the races; black cooks, servants, and valets attended the requests of the elite. All were paid, as well as given food and lodging. Most important, the British regarded them as free people.

In the South, large numbers of runaways also joined the British at Charleston, South Carolina, and Savannah, Georgia. Lord Charles Cornwallis had about 3,000 runaways working for him at Yorktown, Virginia, in 1781. The Royal Navy employed many black seamen — about 10 percent of the crews on British ships. During the war, some 20,000 enslaved people sought freedom with the British. As many as 50 percent of them died from wounds, succumbed to diseases such as smallpox, or else were re-enslaved following the defeat of the British at Yorktown. The other 50 percent left America with the British in 1783.

The news that Cornwallis had been defeated at Yorktown shocked the runaways behind the British lines in New York. Then, worse news arrived — the British had granted independence to the American Colonies. Promises of freedom made by British commanders had depended on the British winning the war and retaining control of the Colonies. Now that the British government had lost, those promises were no longer binding. The peace treaty stated that the British were prohibited from "carrying away any Negroes or other property of the American Inhabitants." In May 1783, Washington demanded that British commander Sir Guy Carleton return the runaways behind British lines. Among these were at least seven runaways from Mount Vernon. Unless the black people behind British lines had papers of emancipation, as very few did, they could expect to be returned to enslavement for themselves, their children, and their children's children.

Carleton was not prepared, however, to go back on the word of British commanders. He saw it as his duty to honor the promises made to the runaways, and he instructed his generals to give a certificate of freedom to anyone who had been with the British for a year and allow those people to leave America.

At least 5,000 people freed by the British were sent our of New York, and another 1,000 from Charleston. They went to Canada, England, and the West Indies. About 30,000 black sailors returned with the British navy to England.

Washington took control of the United States of America at the end of November 1783. With New York finally in his hands, he led his army through Manhattan streets and that night staged a spectacular display of fireworks to celebrate his victory. Cheers from the huge crowds wafted out to Staten Island, where the last British ships were waiting for a fair wind to take them to Nova Scotia in eastern Canada. On board was Daniel Payne, a runaway from Mount Vernon, who would have seen the fireworks of Washington's triumph light up the clear night sky. Payne was leaving America as a freeman, and that was his own special triumph.

Online Response Questions:

1. What did you learn about the Black Loyalists that you did not know prior to reading this article?

2. Imagine you were living in the 13 Colonies during the Revolutionary era. Would you support independence or remain loyal to your king?

3. Did this article change your opinion of the patriots? What about the loyalists?

4. How does this article's portrayal of the American colonists differ from the characters portrayed in the film The Patriot?


60 comments:

shopaholic said...

1. I learned that it was very hard for the black loyalists during the American Revelation. I also learned that there was a British zone in New York where the Black loyalists were treated as normal people, just living their everyday lives.
2. If I were living in the thirteen colonies during this era I would most likely have stayed loyal to my King. I would have stayed loyal because I would think that it would pay off in the long run. Imagine if the Patriots lost the American Revelation. King George would have put them through major hardships because of all the trouble they caused during that era. I would think that when I needed help later on in life, if I stayed loyal to my King that he would help me. Patriots were probably neglected after the American Revelation. They crushed his growing colony! King George was making big bucks off all of his new laws, and the patriots won a war and took all of that power away from him. In the end I think that the King was the real winner because he showed that the people who stayed loyal to him would find perks in life and he would stay true to them. Plus, after the war was over, in my opinion, he owned better land than the Patriots received. He owned rich and fertile land across rivers, lakes and oceans. There was a lot of new and fresh land ready for settlement; all the Patriots got was the small amount of land on the other side of the Ohio River Valley.
3. This article only proved to me more about my point of view of the Patriots, they were selfish people who only cared about what they wanted. They lived in King George’s colony and then turned their backs on him as soon as times got rough. The loyalists worked hard and made themselves everything they could be, black or white, and stayed true to they’re colony through great times and really bad times.
4. It differs a lot because The Patriot made it seem like the Patriots were innocent and harmless people who did nothing but get killed.

paperboy90210 said...

1. I learned that it was difficult for the black loyalists during the American Revolution. I also found out that that in a part of New York there where black loyalists being treated fair or, more fair then they were as slaves.
2. If I were living in the thirteen colonies during that era i think I probably would have gone with the patriots. I say this because I would have rather been part of a new country rather than stay loyal to Britain with the loyalists. Also could you imagine is you where part of the loyalists and you where just walking into battle with the guns just being let hit you. But back to the subject if the loyalists had won it would be so much different now because king George would have done things way differently, he would still have all those taxes in affect after. King George was making so much money off those taxes and then when he lost the American Revelation the patriots got rid of them could you imagine how mad he would be.
3. This article proved to be a very informational one and told or taught me plenty about the black loyalists. But it also showed me that the patriots get or fight for what they want and don't really care how many loyalists die.
4. I guess you could go either way because The Patriot made it look like the patriots died and the loyalists didn't.

history.roxx13 said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
something987 said...

1. I learned that the black loyalists had a very hard life. The black loyalists were treated much better with the British.
2. I would stay loyal to my King. Indeed they go through hard times, but the colonists want life to be the way they want it. The King is in charge not the colonists. King George put the taxes in because he reaized he wasn't getting paid much at all, he only wanted more money. So i would be loyal to my King. Changes is part of everyones life.
3. This article made me realize that the Patriots are the ones who enjoy slaves, the Loyalists want slaves to be free. The Patriots to me seem rude. The Loyalists seem like the nice ones.
4. The film The Patroit made the Patriots seem harmless and innocent, and the Loyalists evil. This article tells us that The Patroits enjoyed slaves, and the Loyalists do not, and much more.

sportyteen54 said...

1. I learned that the there was also slavery in Canada and that slavery in Canada was abolished around the same time slavery in America was abolished.

2. If I was in the thirteen colonies I would support the Loyalists because the Loyalists were really the good guys, and the Patriots were really the bad guys. What I mean by that is that, yeah King George made some dumb rules, and the Patriots had every right to be angry but when you think about it what happend in the end. The Americans were still buting and selling slaves, while the British were giving black colonists a chance and offering to send them home to their native africa. I'm not saying that all tha Americans were bad, i'm just saying that most of them were bad. The end product is that the British were promoting freebom and hope while some of the American's were promoting captivity, and slavery.

3. This article does not change my opinion at all. Now I think the Patriots are more like bad guys and the Loyalists were more like good guys.

4. This article is different from the movie because in the movie the British looked like evil, jerks who have no regard for ethers or anyone around them, and the Patriots were like innocent little babies who just want to be left alone. The article proves that it is the other way around. The loyalists were actually the babies and the patriots were actually the evil jerks.

hank pym 8 said...

1. I learned that some black loyalist were deported back to the USA if they didnt not have the rite papers or did not serve with the loayalists for more then 1 year.

2. I would support the patriots because i feel that the king would be under stress because he lost the american relvolution and may take it out on his people.

3. It changed my opinion about the patriots because i thought they were good and it turned out that they were not, they supported slavory and when there slaves ran away they demanded they come back.

4. My opinion changed about the movie because what happens in this article seems more factual then to what happened in the movie. I also feel that the person who made the film did not do his homework about the american relvolution.

EquestrianGirl said...

1. One thing I didn't know abou the black loyalists is how they became free at the end of it all. Another thing I learned is that black people did the exact same things that white people did in an area called the British zone. I learned that the United States was nice at times, and wasn't always mean.
2. I think I would support the independance because then, instead of just the people who stay loyal to the king, live freely, but everybody lives freely.
3. No it didn't change my opinion of the loyalists or the patriots, because I don't think it gave me enough information of either to re-judge them.
4. It is much different because in the movie, The Patriot, all the citizens look innocent and look like they don't do anything wrong.

Mr. Linklater said...

HistoryRoxx,

We are not writing a response about Rose Fortune specifically. You may make reference to her, of course. Otherwise, please post a comment regarding the article. You may want to use the prompt questions to help frame your response.

Cheers,

Mr. Linklater

soccerfreak said...

1. What I learned about this artical was that it was really hard during the american revalution. another thing I learned was that there was place in New York were the black loyalist were treated good and not
bad.

2. If i was living in the thirteen colonies i would want independants because when the patroits won the war, and who cares if king goerge got bigger land then the patriots did because if i was a patriot i would be a patriot i would be happy to even get land. but all im trying to say is it's better to be free then being a slave.

3. this artical made me think that the loyalist were the good guys and the patriots were the bad guys because shure the loyalist were bad at some points but the patriots they were made at them because of the taxes, so whenever the patriots saw a loyalist they would tar and feather them.

4. my opinion is that the patriots made it look like that they were the ones getting treated bad and not the lyalist.

Apollogreat said...

1. I learned that befor the black loyalists left for the free land they would be kept on over crowded ships filled with disease.
2. If I was living in the thirteen colonies I would support indipendence.
3. This article changed my look at black loyalists because they only wanted there freedom.
4. This article potrays the loyalists as the good guys unlike in the film The Patriot were it was the opposit.

deutschick said...

1.I learned that the black loyalists had it tough with all of the slavery and racism. Unlike today slavery was used and was only used with black loyalists and not white.
2.If I were living in the Thirteen Colonies during the American Revolution I would have stayed loyal to King George the Third. I would have done this because he has supported us through thhick and thin and has given us what we neede to survive. Without King George, the Loyalists would have had a smaller chance of surviving in the wilderness. I would also stay loyal because he is the king and is incharge and has authority, just like our Prime Minister he also has great authority and most of us follow what he says. The last reason I would stay loyal to my king is because he has been fair not only to the Loyalists but to the Natives as well. Although they did earn the right to move into the Ohio River Valley, the King gave the land to the natives and the French, just to be fair. The natives were there before his colony.
3/4.I think after reading this article I have changed my opinion on the Loyalists. They seem to be much kinder and generous than in The Patriot. In The Patriot they make the loyalists look like "bad guys" while in the article they have given all of the Black Loyalists who serve in the war freedom. Also they have let them have the right to work. I say that the Loyalists were the "good guys" instead of the "bad guys".

Montclam said...

1.I learened that Geroge Washigition a suppsued father of freedom kept multiple slaves art his home.
2.If I was forced to chose between being a loyalist or patriot I waould join the Loyalist cause beacuse Biratan had several advantges such as sea supremecy multiple coloies over seas meaning lots of trade and security from other nations meaning Britian can keep me safer then a rebel state would or could.
3.This articale did change my mind about the patriotes who I never liked exactyly but respected and was suprised to find that the founding fathers kept slaves wich I found for the most part barbaric.
4.The diffrence between this article and the patriote is this shows it in its true sense wher the Americans were not kind to blacks but cruel. would not respect but despise them and treat them badly up into the 1960s.

meatballs said...

1. I learned that Black Loyalists had a ruff time during the American Revolution. I also learned that there was a special place in New York where Black Loyalists were treated like normal people.
2. If I was living in the thirteen colonies during the American Revolution I would have stayed loyal to my king because if I originallly came from Britain I would stay loyal instead of trying to break away from Britain.
3. This article did not change my opinion on Patriots because the Patriots did horrific thing to the loyalist like tarring and feathering them.This didn't change my opinion on the loyalist because I already liked them because they let U.S.A get there freedom after awhile.
4. The characters in thiis article are more realistic than the characters in the movie the Patriots.

Bonzy9 said...

1. I learned that it was very difficltfor the black loyalists during the American Revolution. I also foun dout that there was a specific place in New York where black loyalists were treated like normal people.
2. If I were living in the 13 colonies during that era I would have styaed loyal to the King. I would of stayed loyal because of what shopaholic said it would pay off in the long run, because of what she said would of happened if the Patriots lost the American Revolution they would have been tortured and beaten to death.
3. This article only made me neglect the Patriots even more because of the slavery they did to the black loyalists, before, and prior to the American Revolution. I also thought that the American's were babies becuase they had to pay a few more taxes than usual, and there would be more punishments going to happen to them, if they disobeyed those rules set by the King rules.
4. I think it differs alo because the movie The Patriot made it seem like the Americans or colonists were innocent to the things leading up to the American Revolution.

a.smiles said...

Question 1-
From the article, I learned that the black loyalists, had a hard life, and were treated badly. I also learned that in parts of New York, there were black loyalists that were being treated better. Also, I learned that the there was slavery in Canada.
Question 2-
If I lived in the thirteen colonies during the American Revolution, I would choose to go with the Patriot, and fight for independence. I thik would chose this because, I would rather live freely than be stuck following the rules of a king who lives across the ocean, yet making rules for the us.
Question 3-
The article kind of changed my opinion about the loyalists, it made me think that the loyalists weren’t all that bad, but I still think the patriots deserved to win. I think the patriots didn’t have to go full out tar and feathering the loyalists, but I think the loyalists were too scared to lose the war, or to be treated worse by the king to be un-loyal to him.
Question 4-
I think it differs a lot, because in the film, the loyalists looked very evil, because he killed the patriots two sons, and the film made the patriots look so innocent, but yet they killed a lot of loyalists, and didn’t care.

history.roxx13 said...

Thank you Mr. Linklater.

iluvvpurple said...

1. I learned that life was hard for the black loyalists, but that there was also a place in New York where they would be treated like normal people. It surprised me that there was a place like this because I thought that if someone was black they would be treated like a slave no matter what.
2. If I was living in the thirteen colonies during that era I would have supported the Patriots because King George would have done a lot to annoy me, all of the taxes and things like that would have made me lose a lot of respect for him. If I was living in the thirteen colonies during the revolution then I would have wanted to support someone that I at least respected.
3. This article showed me that the patriots supported slavery much more than the loyalists. I found that the loyalists were very open mine but the patriots were closed minded.
4. I think that they are very diffrent. The patriot made everyone that gets killed seem innocent but then are people just killing for fun. The artice gives a reasone as to why someone was killed, the patriot does not.

ninja1441 said...

Question 1:
Some things that I didn't learn was that.About 30,000 of the black sailors went back to the British navy.Also that there was a second Continental Congress.Lastly that about 5,000 people freed by the British were sent to hew york and another 1,000 from Charleston.
Question 2:
I would support Independence because of all of the taxes that he put on.Also because if I lived there I wouldn't want trouble from friends and family.Becoming our own country would be great because then we would be able to go into the Ohio River Vally and move west.I wouldn't want to pay all those taxes anyway.That is why I would be a patriot.
Question 3:
The article changed my opinion about patriots because at first I thought they were fighting for them self.But they were fighting for what they thought was right.The loyalists I thought were the bad guys and King George III was evil but the loyalists didn't want trouble from the king.
Question 4:
In the Patriot it made the loyalists look like the bad guys and that the patriots were the good guys.That the patriots were right and the loyalists were wrong.That the patriots were better.

history.roxx13 said...

1. I learned that in the time period of the American Revolution, the Black Loyalists had a difficult time. The reason they had a difficult time was because they were getting treated like garbage on a forbidden street, that nobody cares about. Something I learned that I did not know before was that in 1781 behind the British lines was at least a number of 4,000.

2. Whether or not I would stay loyal to my King or not is a different story. But I think I would because if I say I will do something or commit to something or someone I try to follow up on it. Yet I also feel that I was being treated like they were I would leave, I don't let people push me around to the point where I have no decision on something in my own life or my own control. Especially if I was an adult.

3. Yes I think I did change my opinion of the Patriots. The reason for that is, the Patriots
were complaining about the opposite team walking all over them. But now that the Patriots won they are not restoring peace they are just doing the same thing and making it worse.

4. It is completely different. In the film the Patriots looked almost as if they were the ones getting bothered or picked on. When really they were just as darn bad as the other team, I feel that is hypocritical. If I were a Partriot and I won the war I would give equal rights to everyone including loyalists and, let them make there own choices.

hotdog7777 said...

1) The things that I learned about the black Loyalists is that they had a very hard time during the American Revelation and i also learned that when they moved to New York was one of the only places that they were treated as normal people.
2)If I were living in the triteen colonies during this time I think that I would be a Patriot because I would want to fight for my freedom and I would want to fight for my friends and family freedom as well. But i could see why people would want to be a Loyalist because when they moved up north the king would bring them food and watch after them. But I would deff want to be a Patriot to fight for my freedom.
3)In the artical i think that it proved that the Patriots are selfish people that wouldn't be Loyal iy there king and would turn there backs on the king and the colonies as soon as times got alittle rought. And because of that they started a huge war that killed many of friends and family members.
4)It's different because in the movie the Patriots seemed so nice and as if they did nothing wrong and were just getting killed all the time, really they were bad as well as the Loyalists.

mem said...

1. I learned that the black Loyalists at this time were treated very poorly and not as i thought they would be. I also found out that the black Loyalists were treated much better by the British and the settlers in Canada then they were from where they came from (United States).
2. In my opinion if I were a Loyalist at that time I would definitely stay loyal to the king because of all the things they had to offer that United States couldn't. Imagine if the British were completely in control and won the war? Well they would probably have raised the taxes and made their lives worse then it already was, so you would probably have a greater life if you stayed loyal.
3. This has changed my view of the Patriots in many ways. I think that the Patriots were not as good as they seemed but they did do what most people would do in that situation, which was rebel. I think that they went a bit over board by tar and feathering the British and Tories.
4. I completely think that the Patriot made the Patriots seem like people that had done nothing wrong and being punished and sloughtered for something they did not do. I think the film could of had a more even perspective of the Patriots and the British.

Monster6532 said...

1. I learned that the black loyalists had a hard life to live during the American Revolution
2. If I were living in the 13 Colonies I would flee with The Patriots because King George III lost The American Revolution. He might be angry and mad so he might take it out on loyalists by putting more taxes on stuff and might order some people who weren't loyal enough to flee the colony
3. This article changed my opinion about The Patriots because I thought that They were the GOOD GUYS but it turns out that they are bad. They would kill people over silly things such putting a tax on tea.
4. This differs alot from the film The Patriot because in real life they are actually killers. In the movie they are mellow and comical.

JAD said...

1.I learned that black loyalists were treated with little or no respect.

2.If I were living in the 13 colonies back then I would stay loyal to Ging George III because if the patriots plan an attack, he'll have your back. If you want something he might give it to you for free. You can get nicer bits of land and more furniture. He also has everything organized so you wouldn't have to start from scratch.

3.This article didn't change my opinion about the Patriots and Loyalists, just like sporty tee said the Patriots are bad, and the loyalists are good.

4.The film The Pariot made it look like the patriots were winning everything and they were immortal and invincibale and everything was good for them.

tiger said...

I agree with shopaholic that it was very hard for black loyalists during and after the American Revolution

paperboy90210 said...

I think that the patriots could have asked the loyalists who survived if they still wanted to remain loyal to their king. Also, I think that the patriots should not have even thought about using slavery.

mrskevinjonas said...

1. I learned that it was a very tough time for the black loyalist during the American revelation. i also learned that in some place (New York)that the black loyalist was treated decent and was a normal person
2. if i were living in one of the thirteen colonies during the era i would have stayed to to the king because in the long haul it would have payed off they got a nice chunk of land and the poor patriots had nothing and were trying to fight for what they belived in but i would have stayed true even though they were treated poorly and may have gotten treated horrible it may have been worth it
3. No this artical did not change the way i looked at the patriots they were people who wanted to be free and were selfish and yes it did show me how poorly the black loyalist were treated
4. This artical change alot from the movie because in the movie they showed the patriot as little angel who were innocent and did nothing wrong

paperboy90210 said...

I agree with sportyteen54 because hes right about the patriots looking more like bad guys than the loyalists because the patriots used slavery and the loyalists treated them not so much as equals, but treated them as part of their community

Montclam said...

I would like to object to the comment made by JAD when you said you would not have to start from scratch if you supported KIng because you would absouluty have to do that as it said in the textbook and as Mister Linklater has said they were fleeing they would have nothing!

tiger said...

I disagree with deutschick because I would never stay loyal to the king because I would allways stick with what is right.

Unknown said...

#1. I learned that it was difficult for them during the war. If I was a black loyalist I would go to New york so I could be safe and be treated with respect. Thats what I learned
#2. If I was living in the 13 colonies I would be a patriot because king gorge put taxes on everything and wants them to b their slaves. If I was a loyalist I would to scared of my house being broken into or me being tared and feathered.
#3. This article showed me more about the patriots and the loyalists. I realized how hard it was for them and how dangerous it could have been.
#4 It differs because the patriots looked like the innocent ones but in my eyes they are because they don't want to follow the kings rules or pay taxes. And the movie had very little facts about what actually happened.

skillz20 said...

I learned many things about the black loyalist such as it was a very tough and struggling life for them, of that they also got deported back to the U.S.A if they did not have the right papers.Also that there was a British zone in New York where the blacks got treated more fairly, and they had more freedom.
2.I think this is a very hard question to answer because we don't really know how it was like. Yes, we hear that some things were unfair and the British did some dumb things. But we don't actually know how it was, I bet if we were actually in that time we would think a totally different thing and learn many new things that no one even speaks of in the 21st century.
3.this article proved to show a lot, and show how things were like the Patriots actually enjoyed slavery and the loyalist didn't.This shows a lot about how the Patriots look like the bad guys!
4.I think the reason the Patriot was a point of view from an American was because Roland Emmerich is American, he is the director of this movie. That is why it truly seems like the Patriots are stars and amazing. When they are actually very iconsiderate people.

soccerfreak said...

you have good ideas something987. i really like question 2 on your's cause it says change is apart of life, and thats true.

phatboy26 said...

1. What I didn't know was the blacks wonted to be slaves for money but they didn't get money.

2. If I was living in the era of this revolution I would most likely stay loyal because if I am good with the king then he is good with me like when I was (of if I was) in the war I could say "for me fighting for you, you give me no taxes and lots of land / animals for food" and he would most likely do that like when in the "location tickets" people in war get 20% of more land. That is why I would stay loyal to my king.

3. No. this article did not change my was about the Loyalist or the Patriots.

moonlight said...

1.I knew that it was hard for the black loyalists during the revolution, but what I didn't know was that there was a British zone in New York where blacks were treated the same as whites.

2. If I were living in the Thirteen Colonies during this era, and have a family my answer would be different then if it was just me. I say this because if I had a family then I would not want to pick a side, because one group or another would hurt us. If I had a family I would run north to Lower and Upper Canada. Now say that it was just me, I would stay loyal to the king.I'd do this because if the Patriots had lost the war, there might have been a high price to what would have happened to you (Patriot).

3.To me, this article changed my view on the Patriots. I still think they did the right thing by getting away from the king, but not how they did it.

4.My thoughts on the movie have not really changed. I do think that some things should have changed, but I still enjoyed the movie.

superstar.dancequeen said...

1. Some things that learned about the black loyalists that I did not know before I read this artical, was that they were actually good people. They didn't choose to come to the thirteen colonies and become loyalists, but they were forced out of their home town and pulled away from their families to go and work as slaves for they white loyalists of the thirteen colonies.

2. If I was living in the thirteen colonies at the time, I would most likely support independence and become a patriot. I say this because I think that it was just a bit rediculous that people had t pay those expensive taxes and listen to those rules that there was no reason for

3. I don't think that this artical changed my opinion on the patriots or on the loyalists becauseI always thought that the loyalists were kind of cruel and that the patriot were kind people who were just fighting for their rights so they could just live happy lives. This artical just showed me that the loyalists were even more cruel that I thought because they believed in slavery, unlike the patriots who tried to free the slaves

shopaholic said...

I think that the black loyalists had to work much harder to survive during the american reveloution. They had tougher decisions to make, and harder lives to live. From 1775 until 1834 (approximently) the black loyalists were slaves and considered beneath everyone else. That was hard for them. They were born into life to be free....then comes 1775 and they have to act as someone else's slave! The hard decision they had to make was deciding wheather or not they wanted to risk their lives for freedom. These people were only granted freedom AFTER they risked there lives in a war or if they risked their live to stay loyal to their king. I think that everyone during the american reveloution needed to learn that black people were just like them...especially the king!

Mr. Linklater said...

Hello all,

I've read some really great responses to the article on the treatment of the Black Loyalists in Revolutionary America. Many of you seem to have changed your opinions about whether or not you'd remain loyal to King George/Britain or support revolution. In the future, try to avoid labeling either the patriots or the loyalists/British as "good guys" or "bad guys." Remember, studying history is all a matter of perspective.

paperboy90210 said...

I like the responses from skillz20 he or she has alot of true and good ideas

skillz20 said...

I totally disagree with shopaholic on question 2 because you don't really know if this happened or actually what really happened. It's only a story like Mr.Link always says "history's always changing." So I find it very rude and harsh to be saying all these insults like they crushed his colony, you don't know they actually did that maybe it is something totally different.

tiger said...

I think the black people in those days should of got treated a lot better than they did because they are people gust of the same value.

cat said...

3. It didint rily chang my opinyon at all bot it did chang my opinyon on the lolists i storted to like them more then I did befor

mem said...

I don't agree with Shopaholic because if I was a settler in United States I would definitely stay loyal to the king just because of all the benefits that could be in store if they did win the war, even though they lost they did settle a much greater land (now Canada) and that land would be much greater than the land back in the U.S.

MonkeyGirl said...

1. What I learned about the article was that in New York they were treated like normal people having jobs and getting money instead of being forced to work with no pay.

2. If I were living in the thirteen colonies during this era I would probably go with the Patriots. The king would still have all his taxes and we would have to pay him. If I went with the patriots at least I would have freedom.

3. No this article did not change the way I feel about the Patriots I still think that the patriots did the right thing about not staying loyal. We should all have freedom and not be forced to work for someone and not get payed.

4. The article made it look like the Patriots got killed while the Loyalists are the one who kill everyone.

skillz20 said...

Thanks, paperboy90210 VERY appreciated.

superstar said...

1. I learned that it was very hard for the black loyalist's to live during the American Revelation. I didn't know that there was a British zone in New York were Black Loyalist's were treated much better than they did before and also the could just live like average people.

2. If I was living in the Thirteen colonies i would support independence because when you live in the thirteen colonies you don't have the rights to make up your own mind. Also who would stay loyal to a king if he didn't care about you.

3. I kind of changed my mind about the Patriots because they don't want to help slaves and the Loyalists I think are the better people because there trying to help the slaves escape.

4. In the movie it made the British look like evil bad guys but in the article there trying to save black slaves. And the Patriots look like the good guys in the movie but in the article there really not.

moboapple said...

1. I learned that it was very hard to be a black loyalists in the American Revelation. I also learned that if a black loyalists was loyal to the king for one year they were free to go. 2. I would have stayed loyal to my king because all the king did tried to make a difference.
3. No
4. The film is a movie meant to make the Patriots good. This article shows much more.

superman203 said...

#1 After reading this article i learned that during the American revelation there was a British zone in and around New York that treated the black loyalists like normal people.
#2 If i was living in the thirteen colonies i would most deffenatly have been working with the patriots.I would do this because in my heart i think it was a great this to do. When you think about it still to this day we would be fighting for are freedom if these people didn't do this for us.In my opinion i liked the patriots better because they didn't want to kill people, they wanted to have the same rights as every one else.

cinamon123 said...

I have learnd that during the Amercian Revolution between the British and Americans ,it was very very hard for Black loyalists in this time ,although the fact that if they fight with Britain they may be freed as well.I did not know , that Many fled.I would try and gain my independence , but sometimes being indepemdent isn't the greatest of things. I have changed my oppinon on the "Patriots" , they are selfish and dont care about anyone else but them selves, its cruel what they do. In the movie the The Patriot they try and show us how they are harmless and dont want to harm anyone else? All in all the article did change some of my oppinions and proved many other things.

Sportsaholic said...

I agree with "mem" because if I was alive in that time period, I would have most likely wanted to be with the British because of all the punishments the patriots got and I wouldn`t want to be getting beat of feathered. Also there would have been great benifits if won the battle and even though they lost, they still settled in a much greater place, Canada!

Sportsaholic said...

Thanks for the help "mem"!

Tips said...

1. what I learned about the black loyalists was the way that all the black loyalists were treated. At a time were anyone with different coulerd skin was cimsidered not human, it was good to know that the british were treating them well.It was also intersting to know that geoge washington's slave ran away.

2. If I were living in that time frame I would probably not want anything to do with the entire idea of war. Sure I would have been angy at the king's taxes but I would not be willing to go to the extreame of armed conflict.So in a sence, I would have been a loyalist.

3.This artical changed my veiw on the patriots a great deal. In most media Patriots are depicted as heroes fighting for the greater good. but realy, they were slave owners and were willing to hurt people to get what they wanted (of course so were the british. I realy can't pick sides in this time frame)

4. It differs a great deal from the view from THE PATRIOT first of all, they portrayed the british as being evil and stuck-up while the patriots as heroes and avengers. of course the patriots did some brutal fighting themselves and treated the british verry poorly. so I think they were about even on the nasty scale.

Mr. Linklater said...

Hello folks,

Great to see many of you engaged in a relevant historical conversation. Keep those ideas rolling in.

Mem,

I'm curious why you consider the land in British North America to be "much greater" than that found in America. Could you expand on this point?

Skillz20 and Shopaholic,

I'm really glad to see both of you trying to back up your claims with relevant evidence. Let's all try to remember that both the Patriots and many fleeing Loyalists were slave owners. While British North America did offer certain advantages to runaway slaves, it was be no means a perfect society.

Superstar Dance Queen,

I'd like to see another response from you with regards to your opinion of the Loyalists and Patriots. The article's main thesis details the Loyalist's relatively kind treatment of slaves. Clearly, they are not simply the "cruel" thugs that you believe them to be.

Just some food for thought,

Mr. Linklater

Darkstar1057 said...

1. I learned that life was very hard for the black loyalist's during the American Revolution because they had to go through many hard things such as slavery, racism, and even death for many of the runaway slaves. I had also learned that there was a British zone in New York where all of the black loyalist's were treated like normal people living normal everyday lives.

2. If I were living in the 13 Colonies during the American Revolution I would support independence because I would rather fight for the land that I had worked hard on, stop paying lousy taxes, and I would not want to support some greedy king who lives miles away.

3. This article made me change my opinion on the American Patriots because I learned that they use more slavery than the Loyalist's and that they were usually rude or selfish.

4. In The Film, "The Patriot" you see the American Patriots as caring nice people who only really want to fight for independence and revenge, but in reality they were rude, selfish, and were alway's picking on the British Loyalist's when in the film it was the complete opposite.

Lax7 said...

1. what I learned about the balck loyalists from reading this artical is that it was really hard for many of these people trying to live during the american revoultion. But, there was one place in New York where they could go and live with out haveing any hassels or being treadted poorly

2. If I lived in the thirteen colonies at this time I would have most likely gone with the patriots because if you haven't even met your king let alone even seen him or been in his counry, why would you think that letting him have control over this new counrty make things better? He placed rediculous laws on many things such as the stamp act or the townshend duiteis. It didn't matter who you were or what you did you would have to pay this guy you don't even know money for dumb things.

3. This artical was very informational about both the black loyalists, and the patriots. It told me about the patriots set there eyes on one thing and din't look back, that they didn't care who died or lived they wanted thier freedom from britian.

4. This changes alot, the movie the patriot made you think that the patriot were nice people who just wanted to be free, no grosomness no fighting and no violence other than in the war.

O_o said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

1.I learned that the black loyalists, had a hard life, and treated badly. I also learned that is parts of New York, ther were Black Loyalist that were much better treated better. I also leared that ther was also was a slavery in Canada.
2.If I were to live in the thirteen colonies during the American Revolution, I would choos to go with the Patriots, and fight for independence. I would choos this rather live freely than be stuck folowing the rules of the king who live across the ocean, yet making rules for all of us.
3.This article showed that the Patriots supported slavery much more than the loyalists. I found that the loyalists were very open mine but the Patriots were closed minded.
4.If is completely different.In the flim, Patriots were looked almost as if they were the ones getting bothered or picked on. If I were the Patriot and i won the war I would give equal rights to everyone including loyalists and let them make there own choice.

O_o said...

1. I leard that there was a place in new york for black loyalist to be free and was treated fairly.
2. If i was liveing in the 13 colonies during the american revulation id stay loyal because king george was doing somthing for every one not only white people and gave every one.
3. This film change my opion about the patroits becuase watching the movie in the starting of the term made me think thats what really happend but reading the articles and the sheets made everything weird because there saying the loyalist where good for doing this and that and the patroits did bad things it made me think lower of the patroits and higher of the loyalist.
4.This atricle potrays the movie the patroit by makeing bacily saying it was back wards and that there was no good guy like benjermain martin fighting for the american colonist and where good in heart that didnt give up i think that becuase in the patroit the patroits are the ones demonstrating freeness for black americans but it was really the british.

moka said...

1. I learned that the Black Loyalists were offered freedom from the British in return for helping then fight in the Revolutionary War.I also learned that at least 5,000 people were freed by the British.
2.If I was living in the 13 colonies during the Revolutionary War I would help the King for my freedom and all the other Loyalists because I don't want to live as a slave.
3.The article changed my opinion on the Patriots because in the movie they seem like nice people even to the Loyalists.
4.I think the article changes my opinion because in the movie "The Patriot" they seem like nice people who want freedom. But in the article they seem to be really mean people who treat the Black Loyalists as slaves.

dorafan14 said...

i lernt that it was veary hard for black loyalests during the american revelutian i also thent that there was a place in new yourk for black loyalets and that they where treated as normal people for once,

prehistoric said...

I learned that some of the black loyalists went to Canada, England and the West Indies. Some of the loyalists went with the British to England. The loyalists didn't live in New York in 1783. The British lost control of new York at that time. I really learned that some of the loyalists went to Canada, England and the West Indies.