Wednesday, February 25, 2009

The Bostonians Paying the Excise Man (1774): Grade 7A

*** Historical Significance

In the days before radio, television or the internet, political leaders and opinion-makers used drawings to shape public perception of events.

1) What is the historical significance (people, places, events) of this painting by Phillip Dawe?

2) What evidence can you find in the painting to support your claims?

3) What is the artist trying to say with this painting? What is his message?

4) What techniques does the artist use to help persuade his audience?

5) How effective is this painting?


*** Please respond to each of these five questions in the "Comments" section of this blog. Remember to use complete sentences in your responses and please check your work prior to posting it online. Have fun!

27 comments:

EquestrianGirl said...

Question #1
The historical significance of this painting, is that it looks like the Patriots are giving the Excise Man his pay by torturing him. One other significance is that in the background the British Tea Party is going on.

Question #2
The evidence to support my claims are, there are feathers and oil on him and that is how he is getting tortured. I know that its also the British Tea Party because in the background, it shows people pouring tea from a boat into the water.

Question #3
I think the artist is trying to say that times were tough back then. The message that I think he is giving is to be glad for what you do get, and not push it because something could go horribly wrong and you could ge hurt or die.

Question #4
I think the techniques that help persuade the audience is the sinister faces, the bold colour, and all the background things that are going on in the photo(different items that catch peoples attention.)

Question #5
I think this painting is pretty effective because it gets the point across. I think this painting could have showed a little more detail, so that it is easier to tell what is wrong with the Excise Man in the centre. A way that you might be able to do that is by showing some feathers on the ground and an oil can lying on its side, spilt.

Unknown said...

Question #1

I think it shows iots of historical facts inthe picture. If you look in the background you can see patriots dumping tea into the river this event was called the boston tea party. theres a tree with tree of liberty carved on it and theres guys putting hot tar on one of the loyalests and dumping some in his mouth. there is alot of things going on but it reminded me of what people had to go through back then

Question #2

The evidence to support my clames are the loyalest is in alot of pain because hos getting chicken and tared the have a noose so there probably going to kill him the patriots are mad because the british decided to keep taxes on tea so they dumped it into the water.

Question #3

The artist was trying to say people back then had a hard time they had to choose to stay with the colonies or leave and become a patriot many people wher being harassed and tortured back then

Question #4

The techniques that help persuade audiencesis the interesting things that are happening in the picture. A person is being hanged and people are dumping tea its the many things that are in the one picture

Question #5

The paint was effective because it showes people what important events happened Id rather look at a picture then read a history text book so this picture says 1000 words about the past

Bonzy9 said...

Question #1

The historical significance of the painting by Philip Dawe, is that it looks like patriots are torturing some excise man who is dressed in feathers. The Patriots are also torturing the excise man around the Liberty Tree in Boston, Massachusets, showing that the Patriots are not going to stand for what King George is doing to them.

Question #2

The evidence I can find from this painting to support my claims are how the excise man is dressed in feathers and it looks like the Patriots are making the loyalist drink the oil that they have and how he is getting embarrassed and tortured by the Patriots. I also see that it is either the or the Tea act because it looks like the Patriots are dumping tea into the harbour from a boat.

Question #3

I think that the artist is trying to say that when the American and European lead up to the American Revolution is hating up because that excise man could be part of King George's army.I think that the artist's message is that whatever side you are on in life ther will always be some sort of bad act happening in your life.

Question #4

I think the techniques that help persude me in this painting are that the people in the picture have sinister or evil faces painte don them to show they are torturing a person and liking it, also the strong colours and textures in the painting. and all of the background colours and objects painted, also all of the torturing objects.

Question #5

I think this painting is very effective becaus it gets the message across to the people that look at it. It also shows the historical significance by the Liberty Tree and how the Tea Act is being displayed. I also agree with Equestrian Girl by showing the feathers and split oil can on the ground to show total torture.

JAD said...

Question #1

I think the painting shows some major changes in History. Patriots are tarring and feathering a man and pouring tea doan his mouth. In the background Patriots are dumping tea into the water this act is called "The British Tea Party".

Question #2

The evidence to support my claims are a man in a crowd is covered with feathers, there's a tar mixer on the ground, people are dumping liquid into the water, stamp act on the Liberty Tree upside down.

Question #3

The artist wants people to see the huge changes in Histroy and that every one has different choices and beliefs.

Question #4

The techniques that help to persuade the audience is showing what happened in Historyby painting it with bright colours in clothes, faces, and landscapes.

Question #5

I think the painting is really effective because it shows alot of the events in History in a really nice picture because they say "A picture tells 1000 words"

deutschick said...

Question #1
The historical signifigence of the painting by Philip Dawe is the patriots feathering the loyalists and it seems as though people on the boat in the backgroud are boycotting the tea. The situations are taking place in British North America. It is taking place in the 1770´s and is during the American Revolution.

Question #2
Evidence to support claims is I see Patriots feathering and torturing the Loyalists because of their different points of view. Also, in the background people are dumping the tea, this is called the tea act. To prove they are in British North America I can look at their clothes and the language on the poster, english. The three major events occuring are the American Revolution, the stamp and tea act.

Question #3

iluvvpurple said...

Question 1
The historical significance of this painting is that it is taking place during the Boston Tea Party. I also think that the people tourturing the tax collecter are the patriots.

Question 2
The evidence to support my claims is that in the background there are people on a ship pouring boxes of something into the water. I think this is the Boston Tea Party because during the Boston Tea Party people boarded onto a ship and poured tea into the water. I think that the people tourturing the the tax collector are the patriots and not the loyalists because one of the patriots punishments to the loyalists was to be tarred and feathered which is what they are doing to the tax collector.

Question 3
I think that the artists message is that you can stand up for what you beleive in without killing people. The people tourturing the tax collector are killing someone to get what they want, but the people pouring tea into the water are getting what they want without harming anyone else.

Question 4
One of the techniques that the artist uses in this painting is the mad facial expressions on everyone tourturing the tax collector. I think he did this to help show what he wants the meaning of the painting to be.

Questoin 5
I think that this painting is pretty effective because it is easy to figure out what the artist is trying to say and show you.

deutschick said...

Sorry

Question #3
I think Phillip Dawe is trying to tell the audience the events that where occuring durring the 1770´s and that the Loyalists were totured just because the were loyal to King George III whom they didn´t like.

Question #4
The techniques Phillip Dawe uses to get his point across is the expresions on their faces. The man who is getting totured is in complete horror and the people torturing seem to have evil sneers. Another technique e uses is small details like the rope, poster that says Stamp Act and the bottle. The rope shows they are hanging people, the poster says Stamp Act, and they are forcing the Exise to drink something awful.

Quetion #5
I strongly think this painting is effective because it proves that the patriots were very cruel to he Loyalists for no good reason. It is also effective because it shows what they did in ful detail. Also, it is effective because it shows what they did and how they reacted to the Tea Act.

something987 said...

Question #1
The historical significance of the painting, is that it looks like the Patriots are paying the Excise Man by torturing him. In the background it looks like Patriots are dumping Tea into the water because of the Tea act.

Question #2
The evidence to support my claims are, in the picture the Patriots are pouring oil on the Excise Man and feathers are all over him. One of the Patriots is holding a cane what looks like that they beat the Excise Man. In the background there is boat with people on it pouring tea into the water.

Question #3
I think the artist is trying to say that times back then were tough. I think the message was that you have to make tough choices but if your choice is wrong then try another one. Not keep the choice that alot of people hate.

Question #4
I think the technigues that help persuade the audience would be the bold colour, the look on the faces of the Patroits and the Excise Man, and the background because of many different colours and things happening.

Question #5
I think the picture is pretty effective. It shows whats happening to the Excise Man and the people in the background. It could be better by putting more detail in the picture. Like an oil can with oil at the tip of it and some feathers around the Excise Man.

superstar.dancequeen said...

Political Cartoon Response

Question #1:
Some historical signifigance in the painting by Phillip Dawe is that it looks like the patriots are paying the excise man by torturing him. They are torturing him by tarring and feathering the tax man.. Some other signifigace in this painting is that on the tree, there is a piece of paper that says the stamp act on it and it is hung upside down. Also, in the background, there is some men dumping tea off of the boat into the lake, which has turned into the 'Boston Tea Party'

Question #2:
Some evidence to back-up my sayings, is that in the picture you can clearly see that the patriots are pouring hot oils into his mouth and dumoing chicken feathers all over him.

Question #3:
I think that Phillip Dawe is trying to tell us that it was not right to tarr and feather the excise man because in the painting, it looks like the excise man is getting hurt when he's only doing his job. But he still could have chose a different carrer.

Question #4:
Some techniques that the artist used to pursuade his audience is that he showed some movement in his painting. He also used certain brush strokes. He also made certain facial expressions like the mouths, pointy noses, and sharp eye expressions.

Question #5:
I think that this painting is very effective. I say this because if I was flipping through a magazine, i would probably stop and look at what that paintingf is all about. That is why I say that this painting is very effective.

ninja1441 said...

Question #1
I think that the historical significance in this painting is how the Patriots are boycotting the taxes. I think that because I see lots of things in the painting. For example in the background I see the "Boston Tea Party." Also I see the Patriots "feathering" someone. Also they are beating up the man who they feathered. I see a sheet upside down on the tree that says "liberty tree." this is what historical significance I think that they are doing in the painting.

Question #2
In the background I see the Patriots dumping tea into the water.Also the Patriots covered the man with tar and bird feathers.Also one man looks like he has a stick in his hand. When they are done it looks like they will hang that person. There is the stamp sheet on the tree of liberty.That is my evidence that will support my claims.

Question #3
The message that I think the painting is trying to tell is how life was if you where a Loyalists or a Tories.It shows how you would always get beat up all the time.How hot tar and feathers would be put on you.How your skin would be burned by the tar. That is what I think the message is.

Question #4
Some techniques that he used where.He used lots of pictures that will give you lots of good ideas.He used lots of bright colors as well.those are the techniques that he used in his painting.

Question #5
I think that this painting is very effective because it shows what the patriots would do to the Loyalists.Also how they would boycott the tea tax.It shows how life was in these times for the Patriots and the Loyalists.That is why I think that the painting is very effective.

soccerfreak said...

1. one of the historical segnifiacance is the boat in the backround and the people.

2. the boat in the backround historical because they are dumping tea in the harbor, and the people the patroits are beating the tax man and making him drink oil and putting feathers on him.

3. i think the artist is trying to say that i was easy back then. the messege is like it wasnt easy back then bacause of all the taxes and the people getting hurt because they were the tax people.

4. the techniques that persude the people is that all the good colouring, the mad looking faces, and all of the historical segnifacance in the backround.

5.it is a little effective because it keeps people persuadive. but i think when he was panting this he should of made things a little clearer.

meatballs said...

Question #1

The historical significance of this painting is the men pouring the tea into the harbour (Boston Tea Party). The engraving in the tree. The engraving is important because it might be a symbol of Britain. The noose might be on the liberty tree to hang the Excise. The expressions on the Patriots look dirty, ruff and unappealing. The man dressed in chicken feathers to show every one in the crowd to show he's a chicken.

Question #2

The proof that they will be hanging the Excise is the noose tied to the tree. They look dirty and ruff because of their facial expressions. The men that are wearing the black shoes are the Patriots.

Question #3

The artist is trying to say that The Patriots are bad because they are abusing and brutally punishing the Excise. It’s showing that the Patriots are scolding the Excise and putting chicken feathers on him. They are also pouring the tea into the harbour. The artist is trying to show that the Patriots are bad.

Question #4

The artists techniques in persuading us is by making the colonists look so militias and look like criminals. It makes the British look like the country suffering from the militias attacks on the loyalists and the British soldiers.

Question #5

In my opinion this painting is not effective because it shows that the Patriots are the bad guys and the loyalist are the good guys and are suffering from the colonists. I think this because this is only one seen from the long British and American fight and war. This is also not effective because it doesn’t show the types of crime the British commit. I think this painting was drawn by a British or a loyalist to show that the colonist were the bad guys.

Montclam said...

#1 This painting is a political cartoon depicting the pepole of Boston "paying' the tax man. They are giving him a coting of tar and fethers and it seems like by doing this they are "paying him there dues". Also all the Patriots faces have malicues lookes on them they look cruel and evil and from the painters point of view they are.

#2 The evidence I found was that the tax man in question is covered in tar and fethers a common punishment in the American colonies . Also that the title of the painting is " The Bostonians paying the tax man" wich as I explained is a pun.

#3 The painters message is probably that the American patriots are evil crimanls and the Brithish are brave martyrs.

#4 The artist persaudes viewers of this painting by showing negitive pictures of the Americans and showing the side he suppurted the Britis has brave heros or Martyers.

#5 this painting is quite effective because if I were a colonist deciding between being a loyalist or patriot this painting might sway me to the the loyalist side.

shopaholic said...

1)There are many historical events happening in this scene. The main event is the stamp act is happening while the Bostonians "pay" the tax man. In the backround the Tea Party is happening. The first thing you see when you look at this painting is many men dressed as Patriots are tourturing what seems to be a redcoat tax collecter.

2) In the cartoon men are pouring tar into what is most likely to be a tax collecters mouth. They have thrown feathers on him as well. On the treee there is a carving
"Liberty Tree." Next to the carving there is a flipped over sign that says "Stamp Act" on it. This is probably the reason that the Patriots are hurting the tax collecter. In the very background there are men throwing tea into the lake. IOt looks like they are throwing it out of crates that are on a ship...just like the real Boston Tea Party.

3) I think what Phillip Dawe is trying to say is that many Redcoats suffered a lot of pain and deserved more respect than the amout they got. His message is that the King let these people win by declaring independance, even after the brutal things they did. I have been led to belive this bacause he is showing many of the historical events that make the Patriots look like the bad guys all in one scene.

4) Some tecnique s he used were sharp facial features to make the Patriots look really mean, and innoccent looking features to mak eit look like the Redcoats were the innocent ones.

5) I think the effectivness of this painting depends on what side you were looking at it from. I f you were a Redcoat trying to defend your side of the story, this painting was effective. However, if you turn the tables and you were trying to show things from a Patriot sview, then this painting was un-effective. Overall, I think the painting is effective because I feel that the point of view was from a Redcoats view.

Bumblebeexox said...

“The Bostonians paying the excise-man, or tarring and feathering.”


Question 1) A 1774 British print depicted the tarring and feathering of Boston Commissioner of Customs John Malcolm. Tarring and feathering was a ritual of humiliation and public warning that stopped just short of serious injury. Victims included British officials such as Malcolm and American merchants who violated non-importation by importing British goods. This anti-Patriot print showed Customs Commissioner Malcolm being attacked under the Liberty Tree by several Patriots, including a leather-aproned artisan, while the Boston Tea Party occurred in the background. In fact, the Tea Party had taken place four weeks earlier.

Question 2) As you see, there is a man with feathers all over him, thus the term feathering, also there is a ship in the background pouring something into the water, which is how I know its the british tea party.

Question 3) I think the artist is just trying to find a creative yet educational way to see things through the past, he is showing how difficult times were.

Question 4) I think his technique of persuading his audiance is just having more then one subject; about tarring and feathering and about the boston tea party, but he could have used a bit more detail.

Question 5) This painting is effective by showing how cruel things were back then, it shows that the people were violant just out of anger, they had no better reason. Also, it better explains the boston tea party.

mem said...

1)
The historical significance of this painting is that the Patriots are displaying a common act that they would do to the British, Loyalists, and tax collectors. This is probably happenning during the Boston Tea Party time because you can see people dumping overboard over the ship.

2)
My evidence to support my claims are that I know that the tax collector is getting tortured in a common way known as being feathered. I also know that this is happening during the Boston Tea Party time because you can see people pouring tea over the side of their ship.

3)
I yhink the artist is trying to get across that the British in this case were evil criminal men that would do everything they could do to hurt them. He is probably trying to get across to everyone that times were tough so know because of them look at what we now have.

4)
I think the way the artist persuaded the viewer was by making the faces of the Patriots faces sharp cut, dark looking, and rekless that makes them look evil. He also persuaded us by making the punishment look very harsh nad painful by the expression on the mans face.

5)
I do not think this painting is effective. I think this because the drawer did not show the two sides very well. He/she only showed the British tax collector is being tortured but the Patriots had some reasoning behind it.

hotdog7777 said...

question # 1
The historical significance of this painting is, that I think that the Patriots are torturing the Exise Man because he is making t5hem pay tax's. But I dont think that, that's fair, because the they were just doing there jobs, like it's not like that they wanted to make them pay tax's, but they all have familys and they have to bring home money for them so they can eat. The other histoical significance in this painting is that in the background there is people pouring out the Britishs tea into the lake. Witch is called the "Bostion Tea Party".

Question # 2
The evidence to support my claims are the Exise Man is being tortured by the Patriots and they are pouring hot oil on to his skin. Then they are putting feathers on to his skin. Also because in the background it shows people pouring out tea into the lakes, and thats what the Patriots did to the Bristish.

Question # 3
What I think that the artist is trying to say to us is that life wont be easy always and that you sometimes have to do what your told, like pay the tax's. And I think the message is that the Patriots were people that fought for what they beleved in, and even though they killed all those people it dosent mean that there that bad, because all there doing is trying to watch over there familys and make sure that there safe.

Question # 4
The techniques that were used in this was they made the faces of the people look very mean and evil and also the technigue that I thought that they did well was they put an image in the background of the painting so people would look at it and it would make people think about what is going on back there.

Question # 5
I do think that the painting was effective becuse it shows the Patriots torturing the Exise Man and it shows the Bostion tea party going on in the back ground of the painting. But what I think that they should have done in this picture is they should have made all the Patriots with blue couts on cuz you would be able to no whos who better, and I think there should have been some Red couts in the background so we would no that the Patriots were attacking the Red couts.

paperboy90210 said...

#1 The historical significance of this painting is that it looks like the patriots are torturing a man because he would not join them.

#2 Some of the evidence to suppotrt my claims is that the man was tarred and feathered by the patriots and they are making him swallow something and that is how they would torture their captures that would not join up with them.

#3 I think the artist is trying to say that in those times if you didnt follow commands you will be punished. Also he is tryng to send the message that you should follow the rules or you can or will be hurt or killed.

#4 I think the techniques that help to pursuade the audience is the bold colouring, and the serious faces help to catch the atention of the person who is walking by.

#5 I think that the painting is really effective. It shows all the different kinds of types that the patriots would use to torture men. Also I think that the painting could mabye use a little more detail in the back round because it seems that theres really nothing happening back there

mrskevinjonas said...

question #1

the historical significance in this picture is that you can see the " Boston tea party" going on in the back round ( pouring tea in the lake/ocean).

question #2

the evidence i can find in this picture is in the background there is a hanging rope maybe after "paying" the tax man they will hang him because they think he is a trader.

question #3

what the artist is trying to say is that the people in the back round ( unworthy) are paying the tax man in a way that is not how they are suposto (money) but by pouring hot wax down his throat and by putting feathers on him to make him look like a chicken because he is suppositly a loylisit to the king.

question #4

The techniques the artist uses is showing all the graphic detail like the tea pouring in the water or the hanging ropes and all the mens faces are just priceless its just a cool picture to look at because this artist shows his thoughts through many ways.

question #5

i think this painting is verry effective because it shows how they may have treated everyone in this time and i really like how he shows ll his detail in his work and that he just shows that he wants to show how it was and what he is trying to say

MonkeyGirl said...

1) People - I think the painting shows that the patriots are giving the tax collectors there pay by pouring something hot down his throat and that i the back it shows people puring tea into the water.

2) I know this because the have feathers all over him and one of the people have a jug in the hand and pouring into the tax collectors mouth.

3)I think the message the painter is trying to get across is that tax collectors did not have an easy time back then and if u were a tax collector that they would hurt you because they didn't like paying taxes.

4) I think the techniques that help persuade the audience in the faces on the people and the things that are in the background suck as pouring tea in the water.

5) I think the painting is affective because people know that is wasn't a very good time for the people that were tax collectors but could of show what the tax collector got punished for.rab

phatboy26 said...

Question #1

The events in the picture are or well what is going on is the tax collect is getting his share. There pouring wax (hot wax) on him then putting feathers on him to make him look funny. trying to be free in there own way to not have to go by their rules.

Question #2

Well in the picture there are betting up the stamp collect for the stamp act. And also the TEA act as well. They are pouring tea in the water.

Question #3

He is trying to say that the don't have to do what there want so they can be free.

Question #4

He uses the noeses to look bad like there noeses are sharp so they look evil. And they are also putting tea in the water.

Question #5

This painting is effective because it show what they had to go trough!
it's hard. It also gets the point across that there bad people!

superstar said...

1) In this picture looks like five men, who could be Patriots are beating up a the Excise Man, who could be a tax man. Another historical significance is that there is men in the background dumping crates of tea into the water. That event is The Boston Tea Party.

2) My evidence to support my claims is that the Boston Tea Party is going on, because it shows them dumping tea from the boat and into the water.

3) I think that Phillip Dawe is trying to say that things back then was bad and hard. Also that they shouldn't be beating up the Excise Man because he is only doing is job.

4) The techniques Phillip Dawe has used is the the backgrounds, the colours, and how he made the people's faces to show what they were feeling.

5) This painting is mostly effective because I think he should of put more detail into the picture. Also show more detail into what was going on in the background.

moonlight said...

Question #1
I think historical significance of this painting is, that it looks as if the "Patriots" are harshly killing a man. But I think that one of the main points in this painting is that, the background is the Boston Tea Party.

Question #2
The evidence to support my claims are, there is clearly two men dressed in the Patriots clothing. Also there are people in the back of the three men dumping tea into the water. There is also the tree os Liberty behind the three men.

Question #3
I think the artist is trying to tell people about what the Boston Tea Party was. While not just painting it bluntly. I also think that he was showing just one of the ways that people would be delt with back in the day in age.

Question #4
I think that the techniques that were used to help persuade the audience, is the factors of the bold colours , and the looks on the mens faces. Also the fact there is so much happening in the background, that catch the eyes of who ever sees the painting.

Question #5
I think that this painting is somewhat effective. I say this because it gives off a strong message. It also gives people the idea of what the Boston Tea Party looked liked.

superman203 said...

Question#1
I think the historical significance of this painting is trying to show that way the patriots use to pay the excises man by torturing him!In my opinion i think another historical significance would be the British having a tea party in the back ground!


Question#2
The evidence that will support my claims are In th painting it looks to be there is feathers and oil on the one man symbolizing he is a fool or a coward.I also believe there was a tea party going on because in the painting you can see the British dumping tea into the harbour


Question#3
In the painting i think the artist is trying to say that back then is was very hard and we should be glad to live where we do and not live how they did.I think he is also trying to say that now you wont get hurt for doing wrong but back then you would.

Question#4
I personally think the details,the colors and the amazing art work captured my attention.When i looked at this painting i new exatly what they were trying to show.

Question#5
I think this painting is very effective because yes i did get the point across but it also could have shown how yes doing this was wrong but how back in they day it was very right.A way the artist could fix this would be showing some pictures and details from back then but also now!

guitarhero7777 said...

#1 the historical significance of the painting is that they are paying the excise man by torturing him.

#2 the evidence to support my ideas are there are feathers on the excise man and they are poring oil down his neck and. in the back round i see men poring tea in to sea.

#3i think he/she is trying to say like that times were hard back then. the message he is trying to say is to be glade that you are not getting painfully hurt or even worse killed.

#4 i think the techniques that help persuade the audience is the sinister faces the bold colour and all the stuff going on in the backround.

#5 i think the painting is pretty effective because it gets the point across. i think the painting could have shown a little more etail so that it is easier to tell what is going on in the painting.

moboapple said...

Question #1 I think the historical significance painting, is it looks like 4 or 6 men are torturing one man that may or may not have gone to the tea party. I brought up the tea party because the man was poring tea in the mens mouth. Question #2 It looks like the 4 or 6 men where torturing the one man because they where holding him down and poring tea in his mouth. Question #3 I think the message is if your poor you get tortured other then that I'm not sure. Question #4 I think the techniques he or she used well is the facial expressions and how it is all sharply down only with the bad guys. Question #5 I scars me and I think that is why it caught my eye. and it is mean.

moka said...

1.The painting shows five people killing a man who is covered in chicken feathers and in the background you can see people getting rid of tea and throwing it in to the water.

2.The evidence to support my claim are,there are five guys who are killing a man and it also shows people throwing tea in the water but, you can also see that they are putting something in the man's throat.

3.I think the artist is trying to say this is what happens when you are a tax payer and you do something bad.

4.I think the painting makes people want to stop and take a close look at it to see what is happening.

5.The painting is effective because it shows what it was like for someone when you do something wrong.